Easy care white flowering shrubs to illuminate the after-dusk landscape. Some feature small flowers like those of the white oleander bush; others, like white roses and Hibiscus, display big blooms.
White oleander Flowers
Like rain on a sizzling summer day, shrubs with white flowers bring cool refreshment to garden beds and borders. Being at once elegant and bold, white flowering bushes are right at home in formal garden designs. Use them as a color break in the perennial border to keep unharmonious neighbors from clashing and to tone down a too riotous cottage garden.
Of course, the most fitting use of a white blooming bush is to plant it in an all white garden. Here, evergreen shrubs that bloom repeatedly throughout the warm season will make the the biggest contribution.
Evergreen White Flowering Shrubs
- Nerium oleander
- Most Viburnum species produce tiny white flowers which make up for their insignificance by congregating in large, showy clusters while the plants are in bloom.
- The white summer flowers of Daphne acutiloba are followed by bright red berries in fall.
- For those with the right growing conditions, the Gardenia will add a fragrant white flower to the planting scheme.
- Japanese Privet bears large clusters of little white flowers during the summer months.
- The small white flowers of Indian Hawthorn appear each spring. After the blossoms fade, attractive navy blue berries take their place.
- Evergreen Azaleas
You’ll find a list of the best white roses here.
Deciduous White Flowering Bushes
|Potentilla – McKays White||Spirea – Snowmound||Hibiscus – Luna White|
- Weigela ‘Alba’ and ‘Candida’
- Most types of Hydrangeas either die back over the winter or must be cut back in the spring, so I am listing them with the deciduous shrubs.
- Rose of Sharon displays large single or double blooms throughout late summer and fall.
- The cascading stems of Spirea ‘Vanhoutei’ cover themselves in small white buttons each spring.
- The fragrant bloom clusters of Lilacs make excellent old-fashioned cut flowers.
Tropical White Shrubs
Crape Jasmine Flower
- The Tropical Hibiscus bears blooms as big as your palm from summer until the first hard frost.
- Night Blooming Jasmine
- Crape jasmine also dies back in freezing weather. There are singe and double-flowered forms available.
Buy a White Flowering Bush Here
|Frost Proof Gardenia||Viburnum – Summer Snowflake||Mock Orange Buckley’s Quill|
|Viburnum – Common Snowball Bush||Hydrangea – Oakleaf||Abelia – Ruby Anniversary|
|White Profusion Butterfly Bush||Madam Lemoine Lilac||Rose of Sharon – Lil Kim|